academic babble

i came across this word while thumbing through the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language. it refers to a technique devised by linguists in the 1940s which determines the rate at which a language has changed over the centuries. while i definitely fall into the everything-about-language-is-cool camp, it just struck me that they couldn’t have come up with a more pedantic, impenetrable, academic moniker. i’d like to see one of those linguists tell one of their buddies what they do over a pint at the pub: “i’ve been working on this new thing … it’s called lexer … uhhh … statisstiticial … (burp) … glockenspoo … eh, forget it. another pint of guinness?”

Creative Commons License
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>